Written by Jennifer Boren
TASL has announced the 2020 Bookmark Contest! This year, the theme is more open to student interpretation than in years past when the contest was tied to AASL’s School Library Month theme. AASL is not selecting a theme this year, so we are not asking your students to include specific wording on their designs.
The bookmark should simply show a love for their school library or a love of reading. They may include wording that connects to their design, if they wish.
This year’s theme: Design a bookmark that expresses your love for your school library or your love of reading.
How to Enter
Current member libraries of TASL are eligible to enter the contest with a maximum of three entries per division. Non-member libraries are not eligible.
The four contest divisions are:
- Primary K-2 (Hand drawn images only)
- Intermediate 3-5 (Hand drawn images only)
- Middle 6-8 (Hand drawn or digital art images)
- High 9-12 (Hand drawn or digital art images)
There are several ways you can run the contest at your school:
- Collaborate with classroom or art teachers to reach all students
- Have students work on bookmark entries during library time
- Promote the bookmark contest – advertise on library websites, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Offer prizes to school-wide winners
Bookmarks will be judged on the following criteria:
- Execution of the theme: There is no specific wording required on the bookmarks this year. Students are encouraged to design a bookmark that expresses their love for their school library or their love of reading.
- Use of artistic medium (digital art, paint, crayon, pastels, etc.)
- Entry is completed on official entry form, with all information and parent signature visible.
Prizes will be awarded for state-wide winners as follows:
1st Place Winners:
- Students: a $25 cash award
- 50 bookmarks of their own design
- School librarians: 200 bookmarks of the winning design and an enlargement of their bookmark
- An award certificate
Honorable Mention –
- Students: 25 bookmarks of their design
- School librarians: 100 bookmarks of their design
- An enlargement of their bookmark
- An award certificate
Contest entries must be postmarked by February 18, 2020.
Please read Contest FAQs for contest information and return only your top 3 student entries for your division. All entries, including digital art, must be hard copies and submitted via US Postal Service mail.
Entries must be submitted on the Official Student Entry Form and Template (1 entry per template), along with the Instructions for School Librarian and Entry Checklist.
Mail entries and checklist by February 16 to:
TASL Bookmark Contest
Woodland Middle School
ATTN: Lindsey Kimery
1500 Volunteer Pkwy
Brentwood, TN 37027
TASL can’t wait to see the creative work of your students!
Questions? Contact Lindsey Kimery: Lindsey.email@example.com