Written by Jennifer Boren
Even though school librarians across Tennessee are gearing up to attend the TASL Conference this coming weekend, we need to start making plans to attend the YALSA Symposium in Memphis, TN. The symposium will be held on November 1-3, 2019 and all are welcome to attend. You do not have to be a YALSA member, although you will probably want to become one after attending!
The theme of the symposium this year will be “Show Up and Advocate: Supporting Teens in the Face of Adversity” and sessions will focus on issues related to providing young adult library services. If you are currently serving at the primary level, you shouldn’t let this deter you from attending. Topics such as access to resources, helping kids overcome adversity, creating inclusive spaces, and developing a diverse library program are topics we can all benefit from, no matter our age of our patrons.
TASL members may now register for $249 and registration information for the 2019 YALSA Symposium can be found here. Your registration includes:
- Opening session on Friday evening
- Book Blitz on Saturday evening with light refreshments, up to five free books, and the chance to meet dozens of authors
- Concurrent sessions on Saturday from 8:30am-5pm, and 8:30am-1:00pm on Sunday, with the option to register for additional events Friday
- Closing session on Sunday
- Attendees will have access to a free webinar
- A certificate of participation with your contact hours (to receive the certificate, there will be a sign up sheet on site)
- Refreshment breaks mid morning on Saturday and Sunday and an afternoon break on Saturday
- A symposium bag
- A badge holder
In addition to the regular registration, there are several ticketed events you may find interesting, such as a Morning Preconference on Civic Engagement and a Afternoon Preconference Literacies You Didn’t Talk About in Library School. For an additional cost, you may also take a tour of Graceland with your colleagues or attend an author luncheon where you will receive signed copies of their books.
Speaking of authors, these are just a few of the writers who will be in attendance and you won’t want to miss what they have to say!
All symposium programming will take place at the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. Rooms are available with a rate of $129 and the special rate of $129 is available until October. After October, rooms for attendees cannot be guaranteed. Begin making plans now to attend and support this incredible professional development opportunity in our state!